For the Teabag in All of Us

Not that kind of teabag. Don't be gross.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

If I go about this properly, the blog will (eventually) explain enough about me, so let me just explain the blog, or at least the title of it, here:

"A woman is like a teabag. You never know how strong she is until you put her in hot water."
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, May 12, 2006

Roses are Red...

Violets are blue
I've nothing to post
So I'm looking to you

Remember when Nat posted those lovely poems a few weeks ago (maybe not that long). Well, I'm not really much of a poetry girl but I do have my favourites. So she gave me an idea. What if I were to post my favourite poem, and ask my commenters to post theirs?

This is called I'mtiredofpostingabouthappyloveygooeygoodnessbutthat's
encompassingmylifeatthemomentsopleasehelpmeout. I know it's a total cop-out but I'm interested to know what your favourites are too! If nothing else it's a good way to remember oldiegoodies or get exposure to new poetry that you might not otherwise have found.

I promise if you play along, I will post something meaningful next week. I'm traveling on business most of the week so I should have a bit more down time than usual.

I'll give you two of my favourites because the ones I like, I really really like... so it's hard to choose. Enjoy! Or throw tomatoes at the screen...whatever! -s-

My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red, than her lips red
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.

I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.

I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound
I grant I never saw a goddess go,
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground

And yet by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

~Shakespeare, Sonnet No. 130


A single flower he sent me, since we met.
All tenderly his messenger he chose;
Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still wet--
One perfect rose.

I knew the language of the floweret;
"My fragile leaves," it said, "his heart enclose."
Love long has taken for his amulet
One perfect rose.

Why is it no one ever sent me yet
One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get
One perfect rose.

~Dorothy Parker, One Perfect Rose
All right now... your turn!

17 Comments:

Blogger DZER said...

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I'm a sucker for Frost, though there are many, MANY other poets and poems I enjoy. :)

5/13/2006 12:22:00 AM  
Blogger JMai said...

Mmm, that's a nice one. Thanks, Dz

5/13/2006 08:53:00 AM  
Blogger cmhl said...

dzer took my absolute favorite one. way to go, dzer, steal my thunder. KIDDING.

ok, next would be... hmmm....

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

5/13/2006 10:10:00 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

cmhl: I'm all about thunder stealing ... heh

5/13/2006 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Natalia said...

I love that sonnet...I use it in class. Hehehe :)

-N

5/13/2006 02:00:00 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

that is my fave shakespearian sonnet ever. no ever. and nat? i learned it in a class.

dzer i love that frost poem and my favourite ever is also by him and i mentioned it on nat's blog but here it is anyway:

The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost (1874–1963)
Mountain Interval. 1920



(flanders fields... damm that is a great poem too)

5/14/2006 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger DZER said...

sass: my second favorite frost poem!

as for sonnets ... I'm more of a "Shall I Compare Thee To a Summer's Day" kind of guy, though I like jmai's too :)

5/15/2006 06:49:00 AM  
Blogger JMai said...

Ooooh yay, I love coming home to comments! Sorry I've been away all weekend making poetry of my own. Haha.

cmhl -- that's very pretty! But then poetry often is, no? Thank you for that!

Butt -- WHERE IS YOUR POEM, YOU CHEATER??

Sass -- I love that Frost poem, that is my favourite of his. Such evocative imagery... but also I think there's a life lesson in that poem which is why I think it should be required reading along with Oh! The Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss (I think I posted that on Nat's blog too)

Dzer -- the way I understand it, that sonnet is Shakespeare's response to the overly flowery poetry of his contemporaries. In sooth, good sir, I also love shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate (I think)... but I like the honesty of Sonnet 130

5/16/2006 09:19:00 PM  
Blogger Natalia said...

Shut up about cheater...you got this idea from me and I posted some of my favourites on my blog and you are admitting this is a cop-out post...so don't you bloody dear call ME out on the not posting... ROTFL :)

-N

5/17/2006 08:25:00 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

frost is one of my favorites as well! he's popular on this here blog :-) i'll add a little Fire and Ice:

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

-- Robert Frost

5/17/2006 09:58:00 AM  
Blogger Hubris said...

Nice:)

and congrats on falling for your boy:D

5/17/2006 03:21:00 PM  
Blogger JMai said...

Butt -- ok FINE! -grumblegrumble-

Alice -- I've actually never read that one, thank you!

Hubris -- Thanks! And where is YOUR poem, mister??

As for the posting during my week of business travel... yeah um. Ok so I just got home and I'm tired and I have to head back to that boring conference early in the morning so I think it'll be tomorrow night ...or possibly even Friday afternoon, because I didn't realise it earlier but we adjourn at 1pm on Friday wooohoooo! So after I get home, I will head out to the pool (weather permitting) and get me some sun time, but after that I should have time to write a lil post about all the crazy things that are going on before I head out to the airport to pick up Chulo.

-exhale-

5/17/2006 09:57:00 PM  
Blogger Hubris said...

I'm working on one but it will be particularly special. It may take time but I promise it will be worth it. :)

5/18/2006 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

mm chulo visits

have fun darlin'

5/18/2006 04:24:00 PM  
Blogger JMai said...

Hubris -- ooh a Hubris original! I'm very excited about this!

Sass -- mmm indeed! -beams-

5/18/2006 07:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »

2/16/2007 09:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Chevrolet dealers in washington state digital camera Ocular+rosacea Diazepam online pharmacy baikal shop Columbia hooded fleece jacket ambien gila river fishing outfitters Does proactiv give you scars malpractice and negligence law enforcement Immune system and cancer Nextel ringtones i830 mp3 wellbutrin Kanye west - diamonds from sierra leone Didrex tmain coleman camping stoves

4/25/2007 04:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!