For the Teabag in All of Us

Not that kind of teabag. Don't be gross.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

If I go about this properly, the blog will (eventually) explain enough about me, so let me just explain the blog, or at least the title of it, here:

"A woman is like a teabag. You never know how strong she is until you put her in hot water."
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Guilty, Your Honour

Haha, a little courtroom humour from the lawyer chick.

Total random information before I begin this post -- last night I made the awesomest chili EVER in my trusty lil crockpot (well, I browned the meat and onions and garlic first, but whatever). I love my subscription to Cooking Light -- any chili lovers out there NEED to visit the website and look up the recipe for All-American Chili. It is fanfuckingtastic AND it will feed me for like... I dunno, a month? Luckily it freezes well. Best part? It calls for a cup of merlot and oh! now the bottle's open, I'll have to have a glass or two (anyway I used syrah - yummier).

Also, now that I'm putting up a new post, I am going to miss the happy bunny graphic I used in the last post. He makes me smile.

Ok moving on. The humbly confident hubris tagged me with the 5 Guilty Pleasures meme (yay I used a new word!). So:

1. Reminding people that I am a lawyer. Notice the first line of this post. I am always saying, "oh well, in the law, you do X" or throwing legal jargon into everyday conversations, and I am always reminding people that YES I am a lawyer! I don't actually like lawyers generally, but I do this ALL THE TIME NOW. I think it's because I'm so completely psyched that after waiting for many months, the arduous process of the background check (da-da-DUMMMmmm!) has ended and I happily cart around my Bar card and I have a real desire to sneak the letters "Esq." onto my automatic email signature at work. The truly sad part is, I haven't done it -- not because I think it would upset my boss, but because I don't like for people to know that I'm a lawyer right away. I prefer that they start talking nonsense to me about how the regulations say this or their rights are that and then it's all KAPOW I am lawyer chick, hear me cite! My favourite was a few months ago this lawyer called on behalf of one of his clients (who totally has no case) and it was SO CLEAR that he not only wasn't a securities lawyer, but actually did not know the first thing about how securities regs work... and after a while of him puffing his chest out, I said something like, "well... from one lawyer to another, I strongly suggest you get an experienced associate counsel on this, you know, someone familiar with the regulations" and you know he had to feel really stupid after that. Ok I am a bitch.

2. Online Personals. If you read my blog at all, you know that I have been surfing the lonely seas for a proper mate. But I honestly LOVE the online personals. I get off on the whole courtship dance, even with people that I do not find attractive ...it's so nice to be flattered and admired. I love talking to new people and learning about them, and I love the whole game that so many people play... I enjoy dissecting their profiles and trying to find the half-truths. The best is when Nat and I are on the same sites and someone will wink at her (or me) and then she'll tell me (or I'll tell her) to check out his profile and when I do, he sees that I've peeped him and then he'll send me (or her) a wink! -Giggle- ....it's so fucking funny.

3. Pajamas. I do not shop for dirty-ho outfits to go clubbing in, I'm not much of an accessories girl -- no matching purses, no costume jewellry. And as much as I adore shoes, I'm just not financially independent enough to blow hundreds of dollars on a single pair of shoes (though I once got a fantastic pair of white suede via spiga pumps on sale at Macy's for $90!). But one thing I not only love to buy but love to wear? Oh hell yah... pajamas. Cotton knit, drawstring waist, long ones, short ones, silky ones ... who cares, bring em on. If it's my birthday and you're not sure what you should get me -- you canNOT go wrong with pajamas.

4. Lazing. This pretty much ties in with pajamas, because what better to wear while lazing but one's PJs? My work week is pretty stressful so I really enjoy waking up late on saturday mornings, making a pot of coffee ALL for meeeeeeeeee, and just lounging. Whether I'm online, watching tele, reading ... doesn't matter. I love pajama days. At some point I will usually get up and do something, but those first few hours of the weekend ... those are sacred.

5. Stupid movies. You know those people who say, "oh my favourite movie is The Tailor of Panama" ... or The Constant Gardener, or Lost in Translation, or some other movie that you have to actually watch while simultaneously considering the moving pictures in front of you? Yeah, I'm not one of those people. I LOVE Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. I LOVE Bring it On. I LOVE The Emperor's New Groove, Miss Congeniality, and Drop Dead Fred. Actually, I finally rented the 40-Year Old Virgin and I was going to watch it tonight, until I saw hubris had tagged me. Don't get me wrong, the others are good movies too (well, except Lost in Translation which completely lost me in translation and I think I speak English quite well), and I love a good indie or foreign flick like The Station Agent, Monsoon Wedding, L'Auberge Espagnole or Todo Sobre Mi Madre. But stupid movies... you know, the ones you can watch overandoverandoverandover again and never get sick of the punch lines? So very me.

And PS Nat ... I am going to make your georgiaweezy ass watch Ferris Fucking Bueller's Day Off if it's the last thing I do on this earth.

10 Comments:

Blogger da buttah said...

i totally feel you on the pj love. i LIVE in pajama's...to the point where people in my school who see me out on the weekends all dolled up and cute, do not even recognize me.

that's kind of sad huh? but i'm sitting in class or a library all day..why do i have to look cute? and you, of all people know, that the men of law school are not the most attractive, and if they are..they're married anyway.

foreign flik i recommend: amelie. that is, if you haven't seen it.

1/31/2006 09:57:00 PM  
Blogger JMai said...

I think Amelie is next on my blockbuster online queue. Thanks!

And yah... law school boys... ickypale and too cocky for their own good.

1/31/2006 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

That chili and merlot sounds great right about now! I think you should add that to one of your lists on your personal ads. They’ll come flying in like anything! I know I would! The way to my heart is through my stomach. Too bad I don’t have the six pack abs—but I certainly have a fricken keg!

Anyway—been there with the online dating services and wrote tons about my horrific blind dates that I went on. Hopefully, if you do go out on a blind date—you’ll blog about it.

Good luck out there!


P.S. If you and Nat wink at each other---that would be hot! (haha) sorry... I'll go now!

2/01/2006 07:50:00 PM  
Blogger JMai said...

Deb... -blush-

If you want to read about my crazy experiences with online boys, check out the prior blog post, or the one about being a red sox fan. Insanity, I tell you!

2/02/2006 08:58:00 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

oh i FEEL you on pjs... the second i get home from work? oh yeah, the pj pants are on. my bf jokes about how when we first started dating, i occasionally looked nice (ie kept on nice clothes) for more than 30 seconds after i walked in the door. too bad, buddy! pj pants it is, take it or leave it ;-)

2/02/2006 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

ferris buellers is one of the best movies EVER. as are bill and ted's, the 40yo virgin, tank girl AND buffy the vampire slayer.

so yah!

also NOTHING beats your oldest comfiest rattiest sweats... except flannel pjs.

2/02/2006 01:04:00 PM  
Blogger Natalia said...

Jmai-

Hehe..that dude that winked at you after he wined at me and I called him on it has been a total stalker, so good thing neither of us paid attention to him. Can you say restaining order? Lawyer Chick to the rescue :)

Also, I always thought it was soooo fucking funny that you are a book snob but not a film snob. And while I looooove The Emperor's New Groove, I do prefer movies like Clockwork Orange, Pink Floyd The Wall, etc. And that's not necessarily snob movies...just more indie and edgier.

And don't you have my copy of The cook, thief wife, lover dog lol (I can't ever get the name of that movie right!) Hope you've seen it. I love that film but it might be a bit icky for you.

And I am not opposed to seeing Ferris Bueller...it's just thatit's never happened and I never thought.. oh I am THAT fucking bored, let me watch that stupid movie.

Hehehe :)

-N

2/02/2006 01:07:00 PM  
Blogger JMai said...

Fuck ME, I just wrote this long comment and then IE got fucked and it got deleted. Now I have to try to recreate it.

Alice -- PJs ROCK! (not as much as your drums though)

Sass -- I watched the 40-year old Virgin last night and I LOVED it.

Nat -- lol, which one? We've done that with a couple of guys so I don't remember.

Re the cook and his wife and her grandmother, etc... yes I have it but no I haven't watched it so of course I forgot to pack it. Sorreee...

Also, are you ever going to pick up when I call again or am I just on perma-igg??

I never thought about it but I guess it is funny that I'm a book nob but not a film snob. I guess it's because I understand the intricacies of the written word (not as well as some) but I have no training whatsoever in film appreciation. Weird.

2/02/2006 05:18:00 PM  
Blogger Natalia said...

ROTFL...everyone is on perma-igg. It's called my cell phone is on vibrate cause I am either in ameeting or teachin and either or are no good for chatting lol

It's been nuts...I am teaching at night but I am doing stuff at the other place... Today I went to eight places...count them...eight before 11 then went to work, had meetings, then taught and I just got home. AND I am on stupid burping machine Cipro and feeling like shit and sleepy because of the insomnia...you get the picture.

You don't need to pack the movie.. I was just wondering if you'd seen it :)

And I was talking about the Mike Gray dude. Hehe..I called him out!

-N

2/02/2006 09:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » »

3/01/2007 11:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!