For the Teabag in All of Us

Not that kind of teabag. Don't be gross.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

If I go about this properly, the blog will (eventually) explain enough about me, so let me just explain the blog, or at least the title of it, here:

"A woman is like a teabag. You never know how strong she is until you put her in hot water."
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Is it... naww... could it be...?

Oh yes, peoples... it's a new post. Holy crap, I know. But we just got back from dinner with a couple of couples (expensive but oh so yummy!) and Chulo is roaming around doing this and that, so I have a leeeetle bit of down time... and I thought I would post. And then I thought...

Y oh Y did Dzer give me the letter Y?


Well, to be fair, I asked for a letter. So the tag works thusly (copied verbatim from Dzer's own H meme -- I certainly hope there's no copyrighting on any of that stuff!): You get a letter assigned to you, and you have to come up with 10 words that begin with that letter and then give your thoughts on them. As you can see, my letter is "Y."

So, that said....

    Yogurt -- something I eat on a regular basis. Tastes best in the blender with ice and fresh fruit, or peanut butter and a dash of vanilla extract.

    Yawn -- the common misconception is that people do this when they're tired. Now I'm not really sure, but I believe that this is only half true. I read somewhere that people yawn when their brains needs more oxygen, which I guess may or may not indicate sleepiness. But science never really was my strong suit.

    Ylang-ylang -- some kind of floral scent. Popularised by Jack of Will & Grace in the following exchange:
    Jack (holding out his wrist for Will to sniff): I'm just using your tub. And your ylang-ylang. Do ya like ya like?

    Yeshua -- just another crazy name for Jesus. This one's a little too controversial for me to expound upon any further, but ... y'know, he gave me Y. Bear with me.

    Yay -- something I say all the time. It's very cute and endearing, and if you're really lucky, I'll say it while simultaneously balling my hands into fists which I wave around my head and giving you a big kool-aid smile

    Youth -- something that is rapidly leaving me behind. Also a song (and album) by Matisyahu.

    Yeti -- a fancy name for the Abominable Snowman. Big, fuzzy fantastical creature of the snowy mountaintops of Nepal and such.

    Yoni -- direct from merriam-webster.com: a stylized representation of the female genitalia symbolizing the feminine principle in Hindu cosmology. I admit I only came upon this one because I was running out of Y words and so I typed a nonsense word beginning with Y into the m-w search engine and yoni was one that came up and looked as if it might be promising. As you can see, it was.

    Y'uchti -- phonetic spelling of the Arabic word that translates to "my sister." Egyptian women say this all the time, whether the person to whom they're speaking is or is not in fact their sister. Sort of a term of endearment but more just a casual form of address.

    Yoga -- something I should do more often, as I was getting quite good at it at one point. Also I sorta wanted to round out the selection with a word close to the one I began with. Yay me! -gestures-


10 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

mmm love the peanut butter idea with yogurt.

pilates teachers take it as a compliment when you yawn, we say it means you're breathing.

yeti rock

now look up lingam :)

6/21/2006 12:34:00 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

Yay and Yahoo for you!

No Yuma, yucca, yo-yo, Yellowstone, or Yabba-Dabba-Do?

heh.

6/21/2006 05:25:00 AM  
Blogger Natalia said...

I didn't get tagged...I haven't gotten tagged... the Y letter sucks though. I would have had to go with yaay (cause mine is double a) and with Ying Yang...and with yo-yo but as in yo-yo dieting. Hmmmmm.... yeah not much to go on really.

-N

6/21/2006 08:29:00 AM  
Blogger JMai said...

Sass -- Peanut butter is good with nearly anything. Chocolate, celery, yogurt... mmm.

Lingam! Well. You learn something new every day. Thanks!

Dzer -- I thought of yabbadabbadoo, actually... but then I decided I had enough nonsense words.

Nat -- Do ya wanna get tagged? Cause if so, I'm giving you the letter J.

6/21/2006 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Natalia said...

J? Jesus? Joseph? Jihad? Jolted!

lol Game on.

-N

6/21/2006 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger terry said...

yaaaaaaaaay! a new post from jmai!

6/23/2006 09:32:00 PM  
Blogger JMai said...

Butt -- Love your J meme. You did good.

Terry -- Yay! A comment from Terry! And thanks! That makes me feel so loved!

6/24/2006 12:39:00 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

There are a lot of interesting Y words. Who knew? Be thankful you didn't get X or Z.

6/24/2006 08:11:00 AM  
Blogger terry said...

and i even used a Y word...!

6/24/2006 02:13:00 PM  
Blogger JMai said...

Phil -- I'm not sure I could have risen to the occasion with an X or Z. Y was bad enough. Hope you enjoyed!

Terry - Yes you uh... did. Yay!

6/26/2006 12:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!