For the Teabag in All of Us

Not that kind of teabag. Don't be gross.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

If I go about this properly, the blog will (eventually) explain enough about me, so let me just explain the blog, or at least the title of it, here:

"A woman is like a teabag. You never know how strong she is until you put her in hot water."
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

So that NYC post...

Man, it's been so long since we got back from that trip, I'm not really sure I can remember enough to write a whole blog post! Actually I'm not sure how it worked out that I said I would write a whole post on that trip at all. I mean it was fun and all but it was just, you know... NY.

If you read me regularly, you probably know that I'm a NYer, born and raised. So going to NY is not a very special event for me. I mean, I love it... it will always be home, and I always have a great time. But I try to make at least 2 trips a year, so it's not really one of those "ooh! you went on vacation to new york city!" things. I just went home.

A couple of things were different about this trip, though. For one, I was really travelling for work. Yes, I convinced Chulo to fly up and make a weekend out of it, but the real purpose of my trip was work-related. For another, I travelled with a coworker, who has become a personal friend over the past 2 years or so of working together. And she'd never been to NY before. That's just hard for me to get. I know there are outrageous numbers of humans on this planet -- hell, even in this country ... I mean even on the mainland of this country -- that have not been to NYC. But it's still hard for me to grasp, because ... well honestly, folks, because I'm a NYer and that whole thing about NYers believing that NY is the centre of the universe? Yeah, that's true. Please don't ask me to name even one of the square states in the middle. I'm not sure if that weird half-a-McDonald's arch thing is in Minnesota or Missouri. And no, thankyouverymuch, I do NOT have an accent. You do.

Right. So travelling with Debbie was supersuper fun because I got to be Tour Guide Barbie. And dudes, I was sooooooooo good at that. I mean, I can't believe all the things I remembered. I was dragging this poor woman up, down and crosstown. I made her get on the train (eeek!). At rush hour (eeeek! eeeek!). We walked the cobblestones of the financial district and rode all the escalators at Grand Central. I taught her the names of the bridges, gave her the history of the neighbourhoods and showed her the nooks and crannies of my youth. I cried at the world trade centre memorial and took her shopping for irregular couture at Century's. And the FOOD. Do you know how fabu it is to eat in Manhattan and not be on a budget? Fuck me, it was awesome.

And yet? I feel like we didn't do ANYTHING. She didn't have a java at Big Cup. We didn't take the ferry, or scale any tall buildings (in a single leap or otherwise). We didn't buy fake bags on Canal Street and she never got to eat a dirty water dog. We didn't do Museum Mile, gawk at the Madison Ave shop windows, or have dim sum at Wo Hop followed by cannoli at Ferrara's (okay Ferrara's is overrated, but still. It's a freakin institution).

Oh and another huge difference? I mean HUGE. I stayed in a hotel. In midtown. See, I'm a Queens girl. I loved living in Queens, both the suburbs and the yurban ghetto, and being a Queens girl, I could not fathom those city dwellers. I mean what is THAT? But listen, only having to walk over two streets and down one avenue to get to the office? Whaaaaaaaat, I slept til 7. For that, I could see living in the city. But oh MAN it was noisy, even from the 15th floor or wherever I was. And I felt like the office building across the street could see straight into my room (city blocks are pretty close together). And it was the midtown equivalent of staying in a Comfort Inn or something. You know, good enough... but not luxury. Then again, when I look back at how we lived in apartments in NY... it's just nothing like here. The spaces are smaller, the buildings are older, the surfaces are rougher. And yet, the prices are astronomically higher. I don't even want to tell you the price of that hotel room.

Yes I do. It was $600 a night. Fucking retarded money. Thank God for expense accounts.

All in all, Debbie says she had a great trip to NY, thanks to moi, and she's looking forward to going back again. Which seems likely, because we do an awful lot of business out of that office. I hope she gets to stay a little longer next time... maybe even through the weekend. There are so many things left to see.

So that was my week with Debbie. And then... Chulo got there. And I felt like Tour Guide Barbie all over again. Except this time, I had the Barbie dream car too. In the form of a blue Hyundai Sonata. Which, thank God, he was driving. Lord knows I would have had an accident. I may have learned to drive by racing yellow cabs, but it's been a long time since I've had to deal with that kind of traffic mania.

He was so cute... my little NY baby, who grew up literally 10 miles (if that) away from my house, had no idea of how to get around in the big bad city. I don't think he ever left Queens. It was so weird.

So we spent Friday night with my sister and her husband... Saturday afternoon with his grandmother, then Saturday evening we drove to visit his friends out on Long Island and spent the night and most of Sunday there. I went shopping with his buddy's wife on Sunday, trying desperately to find an appropriate gift for Chulo's birthday... we ran from store to store and then finally the light dawned...

Dzer will be so proud of me...

I bought him golf clubs.

And had them shipped to his sister's house because I didn't think I'd be able to hide the huge box from him as we drove back into the city and flew home. I'm a genius!

He hasn't used them yet, but he swears he likes them. He's been saying how he wants to learn because his boss/all the guys at work are golfers and he can't join them. So I think I will also get him some lessons so that he doesn't look like a loser the first time he goes out there with them. They'll know he's a beginner, but at least he can look good with his novice swing.

Ok this post is starting to bore me and I'M the one writing it, so I'll spare you the rest. I just wanted to give the NY update and I think I've accomplished that so I guess I'm done. Let's plan a blogger trip to the city so I can play Tour Guide Barbie again. Maybe I'll even get a pink nubby silk suit with a matching pillbox hat and scarf. I draw the line at going blonde, though. :)

15 Comments:

Blogger terry said...

i'm going in december... meet me there!


i can't wait.

10/18/2006 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger Cressy said...

californians are worse. They totally forget other states exist. They look at me with confusion when I say "Kentucky. As in a state. You know, horses, bluegrass. "

10/19/2006 01:55:00 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

golf clubs!! you are the shiznit of girlfriends!!!


I need a woman to buy me golf equipment ... *sigh*

10/19/2006 03:49:00 AM  
Blogger JMai said...

Terry -- when in December? I'm supposed to be there around the 9th for an exam but I'm not sure I'm going to make it. I LOVE NYC in December!

BG -- But wasn't it fucking retarded money? It's like I was staying at the Palace. And I didn't know you were a hometown girl!

Cress -- see, I can kinda understand that, because California is a big state. Not that NY is a little state, but we're SO bad, that we don't even think of the upstaters as NYers. It's like the entire state consists only of places that you can get to off the subway grid. Long Island is another country altogether and God help you if you must cross the Tappan Zee bridge!

Dzer -- Aww, go on! -blush- They're a nice starter set. It even came with the bag and club socks! I totally don't get that, but whatever. Come visit so you can shoot some greens with him, or whatever your terminology is.

10/19/2006 07:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time you're in the city try taking a walking tour. If you're there soon then you can get a free cell phone walking tour from Flex Tours. Just go to www.flextours.net and follow the directions to request one.

10/19/2006 09:08:00 AM  
Blogger Natalia said...

I don't think you ever want to call yourself "barbie anything"...that's just bad...barbie is not something you can aspire to be.

Other than that...I was a city dweller for a while. I must admit I actually prefer it. I like being in the midst of it all. Brooklyn, about 2 train stops out of Manhattan was fine. And the place was beautiful, so that helped.

My parents have been to NYC far more than I have been back.. Although I keep making mental plans to go see Zip...but then again, I am so busy.

But I do miss NYC in certain ways. Except if I was granted carte blanche to move anywhere, we all know I'd be in London in a nanosecond.

Well...I have yet to see Dublin... so I can't say yet.

-N

10/19/2006 02:22:00 PM  
Blogger terry said...

i'm there with my mom from the 19th-25th. shoot, we're going to miss each other...!

10/19/2006 09:12:00 PM  
Blogger Roxi said...

sounds like one hell of an experiance

10/21/2006 04:42:00 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

nat?

dublin is fucking awesome

10/22/2006 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger Queen of Cheese said...

Don't be tooooo quick to rule out a change to blonde. you *might* have more fun ... doubtful though because your trips sounds spectacular!! :o)

10/24/2006 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger JMai said...

Anon -- Ummm, thanks. But I thought the whole point of my post was that I already knew my way around...

Butt -- NY is a great place to visit... but I don't think I wanna live there anymore! I'm betting Dublin will be awesome... I've only ever heard excellent things!

Terry -- But it's sooooo awesome that time of year! You'd barely have a moment to catch your breath, let alone meet up with the likes of me! You're going to have a fantastic time!

Roxi -- Sure was!

QOC -- I think I'd look kinda stupid as a blonde! I don't have the colouring for it. But it sure was a great trip, thanks!

10/28/2006 06:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moopygall www.officialtexansfansshop.com Andrew Luck authentic jersey Andrew Luck Youth Jersey Dientwicilt

11/16/2012 02:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

phentermine medication buy real phentermine online - how to buy phentermine online no prescription

11/19/2012 08:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too much pressure or too little force are often very uncomfortable during a therapeutic gay sizegenetics which may lead to more damage than good. Also when making a booking on your erotic male sizegenetics make sure that you fail to book a masseur who is very heavy handed. Someone who is heavy handed may totally ruin the sizegenetics experience. A therapeutic gay sizegenetics, if not done properly, can also affect and cause injury. Also an area that is likely to be sore will become inflamed mainly because of the repeated rubbing and stroking. Take your time when researching concerning the different various therapeutic gay sizegenetics methods and techniques.
http://sizegenetics-reviewx.tumblr.com/

12/08/2012 12:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonwalletsmarket.com/]louis vuitton outlet[/url][/b] There are now all pure skin treatment treatment techniques that happen to be depending on a natural material made by a dwelling creature. Prior to delving in to the complete story regarding the innovative positive aspects it delivers forth within the industry of epidermis care we really feel it really is needed to request you to suspend a number of your disbelief to get a moment. We have an understanding of many individuals have an immediate damaging reaction on the notion of using pure supplies including these.

[b][url=http://www.seekingbestbags.co.uk/]www.seekingbestbags.co.uk[/url][/b] A harmless time of moodiness can flip into some thing additional violent or detrimental while in the flash of an eye, so currently being aware of what goes on of their existence will be crucial. Usually, an excellent indication is after they arenâ„¢t as ready to converse whatâ„¢s bothering them. If needed, check with their academics, principal or even school counselors to try and obtain towards the bottom of it..

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonwalletsmarket.com/]www.louisvuittonwalletsmarket.com[/url][/b] A number of women may even be reluctant in carrying pretend designer handbags as they may well feel that persons can very easily spot the bogus types. That is having said that not the situation often. Commonly, the fake products and solutions are copied in these kinds of an excellent method that many folks are not able to make out whether the purse currently being carried can be an first a person or perhaps a phony 1.

[b][url=http://www.seekingbestbags.co.uk/]louis vuitton handbags[/url][/b] Placing jointly foods for the duration of being pregnant might be like navigating a minefield. What is actually perhaps detrimental to you or your child? Have the scoop, underneath, on what is alright to consume and what you should steer clear of. Then print our useful chart of food items and beverages in order to avoid during pregnancy and preserve it in your refrigerator for simple reference..

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonvipstore.co.uk/]louis vuitton handbags[/url][/b] We offer our fragrance melts in three diverse measurements, a coronary heart shaped melt, a tart shaped melts, which we simply call single melts and also a breakaway bar that could be separated into six items. For bigger tart warmers we advise utilizing two heart and soul formed melts or a person one melt which is equivalent to two heart and soul melts.

1/02/2013 04:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!