For the Teabag in All of Us

Not that kind of teabag. Don't be gross.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

If I go about this properly, the blog will (eventually) explain enough about me, so let me just explain the blog, or at least the title of it, here:

"A woman is like a teabag. You never know how strong she is until you put her in hot water."
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Death of a Laptop

I'm renaming my laptop. It's been Waxy Dell Spongebob for a while but I think I will change it to Dell Noboot Loman. Not as compelling as an Arthur Miller play, perhaps... but I'm pretty sure I've got a dead laptop on my hands. All of a sudden the thing's gone stupid and won't boot up. Every time I try, I get a blue screen that says:


STOP: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen [it
isn't, I've gotten it about 6 times in a row now], restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

1. Check for viruses on your computer. Etc., etc.

2. Something about chkdisk.

My question is, how am I to check for viruses on a computer that won't boot up? Hmmm?? Stupid machine. Anyone have any idea how to get past that screen? Or should I just call the Geek Squad or something??

I've been using Chulo's desktop in the meantime, but I don't like it. His resolution is too low and I'm just being cranky because I have 4 years of work, photos and music on my laptop that I fear may be lost forever. Not only that, but I have to travel for business in a couple of weeks and it's going to be a disaster if I don't have a laptop to bring with.

In other news, please stop raining. It's depressing me and also it's even colder at work when it's raining.

13 Comments:

Blogger sassinak said...

do not pass go
do not collect two hundred dollars
get thine ass to a nerd you trust

i don't think it's hard to fix but the less times you turn it on the better.

g'luck babe

9/07/2006 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

Mac

Mac

Mac

Mac

Mac

Mac

heh ...

9/07/2006 09:12:00 AM  
Blogger Cressy said...

rain rain go away, don't come back to annoy jmai!

my roommate's computer did that same thing the other day. weird. ummm... can you call tech support? I know nothing about computers. I keep my pics on shutterfly now for that same reason. My dad GAVE an old computer away to someone once without asking. I was so livid. Also, I download all my MP3's onto CD's.

9/07/2006 03:39:00 PM  
Blogger JMai said...

sass -- I think I'm calling the Geek Squad. I don't know any nerds well enough to ask them to fix it. But that's good advice -- I will not turn it on anymore.

Dz -- Are you telling me that Macs never break down? Hmmmmm?

Cress -- I know nothing about computers either, but thanks for the rhyme! The "mai" in Jmai is actually pronounced like "my" -- the Jmai is the first letter of my first name and my whole middle name. But you had no way of knowing that!!

OJ -- I think most of our clouds are COMING from your way. Or at least they're coming off the west coast of Africa. I think. I don't pay much attention until they become problematic for me.

9/07/2006 09:13:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

I'm glad you stumbled by today. Don't be a stranger, because I love your blog!

9/07/2006 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger Queen of Cheese said...

I too would put this problem into the hands of professionals.

Luckily laptops are portable and you can take it right into the repair center without too much trouble?

ugh ... sucky annoying computers!!

Good luck!!

(i'm getting a MAC next time too!)

9/07/2006 11:06:00 PM  
Blogger Cressy said...

You're middle name is Mai? Like Mai Tai?

9/08/2006 08:31:00 PM  
Blogger JMai said...

Funkyb -- I won't, cause I love your blog too! Thanks for returning the favour!

QOC -- But I don't know how to USE a mac. Will it network in with Chulo's computer? Will I have trouble understanding the settings? Does it use the same general hardware and just have weird software that make mac virgins shy away from it? I just don't know about this mac business!

Cress -- You got it. Interesting middle name for a little Egyptian girl.

9/09/2006 08:46:00 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

OMG! Nothing is more infuriating than having a computer that won't cooperate. One day they're fine and the next they just give you these cryptic messages which don't explain anything. Those little electronic bastards know exactly what they're doing. I think they're connecting through the internet with each other and planning to overthrow the human race. Oops. Did I accidently just rant? I'm sre my computer will get back at me for that.

9/10/2006 07:35:00 AM  
Blogger Natalia said...

Backing up is ALWAYS a must. Otherwise one must resign oneself to the idea that what one has in the PC is not forever and is likely to one day disappear. Next laptop you get, make sure you get an external drive to back everything up each night. But I hope it gets revived. They might be able to do a disk save through Linux.

-N

9/11/2006 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger JMai said...

Phil -- It's a total conspiracy!

Butt -- yeahyeahyeah

9/11/2006 06:24:00 PM  
Blogger Cressy said...

you're Egyptian! how cool is that! :) Have you been to Egypt? I am Mexican and Italian but I've never been to Mexico or Italy. lol.

9/12/2006 12:53:00 PM  
Blogger JMai said...

Cress -- you must get to those places IMMEDIATELY! And you have nary an excuse to get to Mexico since it's practically driving distance from you now. Take a long weekend, some friends and your passport, and go south of that border!

9/17/2006 08:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!