For the Teabag in All of Us

Not that kind of teabag. Don't be gross.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Florida, United States

If I go about this properly, the blog will (eventually) explain enough about me, so let me just explain the blog, or at least the title of it, here:

"A woman is like a teabag. You never know how strong she is until you put her in hot water."
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, November 10, 2006

Jet-Set Jmai! Take II

First, a few quickies:

1. I just realised that I passed the 50-post marker with the Tag by Trick post. Man, I feel like I have been blogging so much longer than 51 posts. Hmph. Oh well, happy half a hundred to me!

2. Chulo sent me a gorgeous boquet of roses today for our anniversary (8 months, in case you were wondering). He's such a good boy!

3. Why the hell can't I upload images to this blog anymore? The thing says they're uploading but there's nothing there! It's pissing me off!!!

Well, anyway... onto the post. Remember back in ...what? April? May? Both? ... when I was frequently on the go, meeting up with Chulo at various locations around Florida before he moved down to Lauderdale and made an honest woman out of me? I feel like that again these days, except -sadly- I'll be travelling mostly without my honey.

Ouch, my jaw hurts from chewing frozen Milky Way bites left over from Halloween.

Anyway. We have a bunch of things going on at work, so I find that I will have to travel a bit in the coming weeks. Now, you guys know I don't really like travelling (at least not the getting-there-and-back part). BUT, I get to go to ...

drumroll please...

California!

YAY. I've always wanted to visit the Bay Area and now I finally get to go there! Yes, it's for work, and yes, it's for a ridiculously brief period of time. But these days, I'll take what I can get. I have oodles of vacation time but no real time to take it, so I decided to take ONE DAY for myself out there before I have to come home. YAY again!

So I fly out Wednesday (yes THIS coming Wednesday! nothing like last minute!) evening. I will work on Thursday and probably most of Friday, then I have Friday afternoon and alllllllll of Saturday to myself... I have discovered that flying to the west coast is likely to aggravate my TA (travel antipathy) as most flights make connections all over God's green earth, and on the direct flights, the flight times seem painfully long for a girl whose travel repertoire consists mainly of FL-NYC flights, which are under 3 hours. I opted for a late flight both ways, but it's the Saturday night flight (leaving well past my bedtime and arriving at 8am!) that's going to kill me. But still, a whole day of San Francisco treats! YAY!

The best part about this trip is that I will get to see my godmother, who I haven't seen in probably 20 years. She and her husband moved out to Berkley when I was still twee, and I haven't seen them since. She's a brilliant and talented lady, and I love the stories my mom always tells about her and their "wild" days before she met my dad... actually my godmother is the reason that my parents met. She was doing her master's in the same program as my dad's brother, who invited her to a party which she dragged my mom to ... and the rest is history!

So, to recap: Cool? Finally getting to San Francisco. Cooler? Having the trip paid for by work. Coolest? Reconnecting with my godmother. Have I said YAY enough times?

Oh and? Terry, don't think I won't be meeting that challenge you gave me a couple of memes ago. If you're free I would absolutely love the opportunity to meet you in person and have a drink. Or three.

Then in December, I need to make another work-related trip. I'm also kind of excited about this one too, though, because:

a) I never turn down a chance to go home to NYC
b) There is no place finer than NYC at the holidays (no place colder either, dammit!)
c) Work is paying for [most of] it
d) It's my birfday!

We have a corporate branch in NY, so the way it works at my company is the NY executives fly down for the Fla holiday party, and the Fla executives fly up for the NY party. So I get to go to TWO OPEN-BAR PARTIES wheeeeeeeeeee! And the NY party just happens to fall on the week of my birthday, so I am staying the weekend and Chulo is flying up on Friday night, and -yay of yays!- my parents are coming down to the city for the weekend and we're having a birthday/early Christmas weekend with my sister and her husband!

I was kinda bummed because it looked like I was going to be able to spend Thanksgiving with my family for the first time in probably ... oh maybe 10 years or so. See, the market is open (half-day) on the day after Thanksgiving .. some antiquated rule about not letting the exchanges close for more than 3 days at a time or some nonense. And I never take that day off, because it's such an easy day to work, it seems like a waste of a vacation day. So I can't very well travel for one day up to NY, and anyway we always make up for lost time at Christmas. But this year, my parents were going to come down here, since Chulo and I will be spending Christmas in Orlando. But the fares are insane, so they decided they would save their money and visit at another time instead. So I'm SO excited that I'll get to be with them during the holiday season after all!

And today they put up the tree in Rockerfeller Centre? Oh man... it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! -happy sigh-

8 Comments:

Blogger cmhl said...

happy 8 month anniversary!!

11/11/2006 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger terry said...

hey! hey! you're coming out! omigod! omigod!

oh, we gotta find a little time to squeeze a drink in there. and recruit miss cheese, too. i think saturday could work...late afternoon/evening, depending on your plans?

email me! conwaysf@yahoo.com

11/11/2006 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Natalia said...

Wow...Peter and I are coming up on our eigth anniversary too. Actually, I will be in Dublin for that. And it wasn't even planned.

Could it be that the last time you had thanksgiving with your family was the time I was there? Hmmm it has been about 10 years.

And I am not a fan of California, except for the bay area. San Francisco is just grand. Been there a few times and always would rather fo there than L.A. or San Diego. You'll love it. If you can make time, do Alcatraz, the piers, chinatown, that windy road, and they have some kick ass breweries. Well, I am sure your family and Terry will help you.

-N

11/11/2006 08:47:00 PM  
Blogger JMai said...

cmhl -- Thank you! I hope we have many more to come

terry -- YAY! I would love that. I'll be emailing you soon!

Butt -- I think that may very well be the last time I had Thanksgiving with them... that was what? 96 maybe? Possibly 97. Actually I lied, I remember having Thanksgiving with them and Rey came over, so that must have been 99 or so... ok it's only been 7 years.

Can't wait for CA, even if it is only a quickie work-related trip. I think I'll be skipping the breweries since you know I think beer is vile, but I'm going to try to hit chinatown, the embarcadero, and hopefully the presidio. And I wanna take photos of Golden Gate bridge. There is definitely NOT enough time!

11/11/2006 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger Queen of Cheese said...

oh goody I was just coming here to invite myself to the drink thing. Please can I come too?????

:o)!!

11/12/2006 05:01:00 AM  
Blogger masgblog said...

happy 50 posts!

I would love to be able to travel through the US....that would be an experience..

11/12/2006 07:21:00 PM  
Blogger JMai said...

QOC -- It wouldn't be the same without you! I'd love to meet the wee ones too, but unfortunately I'm allergic!

Masg -- Thank you very much! I would love to travel the states also. I haven't been to many states, and this is only my 2d time on the west coast (once to Vegas, if you can call that a trip to the coast). Mostly I'm an eastern seaboard girl but the next great American city I'd love to visit is Seattle! From there it's just a quick jump to Victoria, BC, which I'd also love to see.

I don't have enough time for all the travelling I want to do!

11/13/2006 09:40:00 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

dude
dude

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you're going to meet terry AND get to go to nyc and hang with the fam and life is good and yay :)

11/17/2006 02:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!